用户名: 密码:    
切换为不分页显示
【论坛首页】→ 【学习交流】→ 主题:中英双语学习 - 【职场点睛】对付年轻的上司

字体:    回复
中英双语学习 - 【职场点睛】对付年轻的上司
lowgi(2009/4/5 20:09:23)  点击:87638  回复:0  IP:212.* * *
对付年轻的上司    作者:Lucy Kellaway

在职场中,人们期望我们忽略年龄问题,但事实上,年龄问题仍是办公室里的一个重要因素,我们会根据它来论资排辈,确定自己的等级层次,而且,假装忽略这个问题是很蠢的。当你遇到一个比你年轻的上司,你该如何处理与他的关系呢?Lucy为您做出了解答。

THE PROBLEM 问题

I have recently acquired a new boss who is 32. I am 20 years older and consider myself more experienced, better educated and more intelligent than him. He has hare-brained ideas and to my disgust all my colleagues are kowtowing to him. I fear I may already have alienated him by pointing out that some of his schemes won't fly. How can I manage this whippersnapper?
Manager, male, 51
我最近有了一个年仅32岁的新上司。我比他大20岁,而且自认为比他更有经验、教育背景更好,也更有才智。他的想法轻率浮躁,而且令我厌恶的是,我所有的同事都拍他马屁。我担心,由于我曾直言指出他的某些计划不会奏效,我可能已经和他疏远了。我如何对付这个自以为是的年轻人呢?
经理,男,51岁

THE ANSWER 回答

Before I tell you what I think of your problem, I should warn you that most readers under 40 (a few over 40) hold you in contempt. According to their e-mails, you are a ghastly old git in denial that someone better than you is now your boss.
回答你的问题之前,我应该提醒你,本报大多数40岁以下的读者(和少数超过40岁的读者)都很鄙视你。他们的电子邮件称,你是个可怕的老蠢货,不愿承认你现在的上司比你优秀。

Like most of older readers, I don't think you are a ghastly git at all. In fact, I can easily imagine feeling the same way myself.
和大多数年纪较大的读者一样,我一点儿也不认为你是个可怕的蠢货。事实上,我很容易想象自己产生同感。

Having someone 20 years younger as a boss is hard - it is the final confirmation that you are way over the hill, and it is quite reasonable that one should mind about that. In a politically correct office we are expected to be age-blind, but age remains a big part of where we feel we fit into a hierarchy and it is silly to pretend otherwise. What is happening to you will come to us all, and we will all have to learn to put up with it - but that doesn't make it pleasant.
有一个比自己年轻20岁的上司,这件事很是麻烦--这最终证明,你已经上年纪了,对此耿耿于怀也是合理的。在政治正确的办公室中,人们期望我们忽略年龄问题,但事实上,年龄问题仍是办公室里的一个重要因素,我们会根据它来论资排辈,确定自己的等级层次,而且,假装忽略这个问题是很蠢的。你目前遇到的问题,将会发生在我们所有人身上,而我们所有人都必须学会如何处理它--但这并不会让问题变得令人愉快。

As for the supposed uselessness of your young boss, I can believe he is less experienced and more ignorant than you. Many of his generation are. However, he may have other qualities that make him a better manager - or he may not. It wouldn't be the first time a fool got over-promoted.
至于你认为这位年轻上司没本事,我相信他的经验没你丰富,见识比你更少。他们这代人许多都这样。然而,他可能有其它方面的素质,能让其成为一名更优秀的经理--当然,也可能没有。蠢才官运亨通并非没有先例。

Still, whether or not he actually deserves the job is beside the point. You have been foolish to offend him, and you must row back sharpish.
但是,问题并不在于他是否配坐这个位子。你冒犯他是愚蠢的,你必须立刻悬崖勒马。

As I can't see you landing a peachy job outside, you can either stick it out gracefully or become a grumpy nuisance. The latter would be silly because it will put your job at risk, and because by obsessing about him you'll end up bitter and boring - an old git, in fact.
我估计,你在外面也找不到一份很好的工作,因此,你要么体面地做好这份工作,要么做一个脾气暴躁的讨厌鬼。选择后者是愚蠢的,因为这将使你面临失业的危险,同时,由于你整天思考他的问题,你最终将变得尖刻、令人厌烦--成为一个真正的老蠢货。

Without kowtowing, you should concentrate on doing your own job well. The passing of time will help, and not just because it will get you nearer to a pension, which I assume is your end game. His schemes may get less hare-brained, and you will slowly get used to the shocking sight of his fresh face.
不用拍马屁,你应该专心把自己的工作做好。时间的流逝会有所帮助,部分因为你离退休越来越近--我想,退休养老应该是你的最终目标。随着时间推移,他的想法可能会变得不那么轻率,而你,也将慢慢习惯他那令人憎恶的年轻脸庞。

A final point: the word whippersnapper is a favourite of mine. It is deliciously evocative. My advice that I give with lingering regret: avoid.
最后一点:"自以为是的年轻人"这个字眼我很喜欢。它很容易引起共鸣。但我不得不遗憾地建议:避免用它。

导航:[上一篇下一篇] - [返回]
[本主题共0回复 | 每页显示30回复]

按用户名:  按标题:   按内容:       包括所有回复
【首页】→ 【学习交流】→ 回复:中英双语学习 - 【职场点睛】对付年轻的上司
标题:
    未登录!    

内容:
UBB:
匿名:×
专区:×
上传:

我们提供15个国家/地区的留学服务。您可以通过我们免费申请海外的10所大学,但是每个国家最多只能申请8所。免费申请的国家包括:英国 / 澳大利亚 / 新西兰 / 加拿大)。收费申请的国家包括:美国 / 香港 / 澳门 / 新加坡 / 爱尔兰 / 德国 / 荷兰 / 丹麦 / 瑞典 / 西班牙 / 马耳他 。海外大学查找

我们提供英国 / 美国 / 澳大利亚 / 新西兰 / 加拿大 / 爱尔兰的幼儿园,小学,初中,高中的私立学校(也称私校或独立学校)申请。海外私校查找

我们是英国签证移民署授权的顾问,我们提供各类英国签证和移民服务。签证类型和价格

我们的课程辅导补习覆盖英国的小学,初中,高中,大学,以及各类语言,备考,艺术辅导。辅导类型和价格

我们提供英国语言学校以及夏令营的申请服务。 语言学校查找 夏令营查找